For Immediate Release:
September 26, 2014
Office of the Governor: Rachel Thomas, email@example.com
Governor McAuliffe Announces Administration Appointments
RICHMOND – Governor Terry McAuliffe announced additional appointments to his administration today. The appointees will join McAuliffe’s administration focused on finding common ground with members of both parties on issues that will build a new Virginia economy and create more jobs across the Commonwealth.
Secretariat of Veterans and Defense Affairs
John Newby, Commissioner, Department of Veterans Services
John L. Newby II served as Virginia’s Deputy Secretary of Veterans and Defense Affairs. Son of a retired Army Sergeant Major from Isle of Wight County, Mr. Newby served in Iraq as an aviator aboard the Boeing B-1B Lancer strategic bomber and commanded an Air Force special operations forward air control unit supporting the U.S. Army’s 3rd and 7th Special Forces Groups (Airborne). Following his military service, Mr. Newby served as an attorney at private sector law firms and an international defense contractor, where he specialized in government contracts, intellectual property and cyber security matters. He also served as a member of former Senator Jim Webb’s Service Academy Selection Board. As Deputy Secretary, Mr. Newby assisted the Secretary with oversight of all veteran-related issues in Virginia, and supports Governor McAuliffe’s initiatives focused on relationship building with our nation’s military services and our active duty military communities. Mr. Newby received his commission and Bachelor of Science degree from the United States Air Force Academy, and earned his Juris Doctor from the University of Virginia School of Law. He, his wife Reba and daughter Jillian reside in Richmond.
Secretariat of the Commonwealth
Advisory Board for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing
- Shantell Lewis AuD, CCC-A* of Richmond, Audiologist, Virginia Professional Hearing Healthcare Center and Virginia Professional Hearing Aid Center
- Deborah L. Pfeiffer, EdD* of Yorktown, Director, Outreach Services, Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind
Board of Trustees of the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
- Paul D. Koonce* of Richmond, CEO, Energy Infrastructure Group, Dominion Virginia Power
- Nancy Robertson McNerney of McLean, Owner, McNerney Picklers, LLC
- Fred D. Thompson, Jr.* of Ashburn, Chief Administrative Officer, Thompson Hospitality
State Rehabilitation Council for the Blind and Vision Impaired
- John C. Bailey* of Fairfax, past President, Fairfax Chapter, National Federation of the Blind, software developer and specialist on anti-terrorism applications, ManTech International, Inc.
- Wanda Barnes Council of Newport News, Education Coordinator/Specialist for Special Education, Virginia Department of Education
- Isaac Crisp of Toano, Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, Virginia Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired
- Valerie Augburn Walker* of Newport News, Real Estate Analyst, City of Virginia Beach
Statewide Independent Living Council
- Mary-Margaret Cash of Bon Air, Assistant Commissioner for Community Based Services, Virginia Department of Aging and Rehabilitative Services
- Christopher O. Grandle of Stuarts Draft, Senior Engineer, Materials and Components Engineering, Northrop Grumman Maritime Systems Division
- Cindy Gwinn of Chesterfield, Community Resource Manager, Autism Spectrum Disorder Specialist and Individual & Family Support Program, Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities
- Ivy Kennedy of Virginia Beach, Disability Advocate, Moms in Motion
- Ronald L. Lanier of Richmond, Agency Director, Virginia Department for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing
- Dr. Rick Mitchell, CRC, Deputy Commissioner for Services, Virginia Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired
- Petrina Thomas of Culpeper, Consumer Directed Service Facilitator disAbility Resource Center, Fredericksburg
- Bernard R. Werwie, Jr. of Fredericksburg, Contract Specialist, Defense Logistics Agency Aviation
Veterans Services Foundation
- Kathleen Levingston of Chesapeake, Assistant Professor and Faculty Advisor for the Student Veterans Association, Old Dominion University
Virginia Board for Asbestos, Lead and Home Inspectors
- Sandra Baynes of Chesapeake, CEO/CFO, Retnauer Baynes Associates, L.L.C.
- Erich J. Fritz of Richmond, Nuclear Safety Analysis Engineer, Dominion Resources, Inc.
- Gene E. Magruder of Newport News,Tradesman, Newport News Shipbuilding and Member, Board for Contractors
Virginia Foundation for Healthy Youth
- Valerie L. Bowman, MD, FAAP of Richmond, Pediatrician, Developmental Assessment Clinic Bon Secours St. Mary’s Hospital
- Glory Gill, RN of Hampton, School Nurse, Hampton City Schools; Member, Virginia School Nurses’ Association
- Sarah Bedard Holland of Richmond, Executive Director, Virginia Oral Health Coalition
- Ritsu Kuno, MD, FCCP of Midlothian, Pulmonary Associates of Richmond, Inc.
- Robert Leek* of Williamsburg, Senior Physician Liaison, Sentara Healthcare
- Sarah Tollison Melton, PharmD* of Bristol, Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Gatton College of Pharmacy, East Tennessee State University
- Kristina N. Powell, MD of Williamsburg, Pediatric Associates of Williamsburg; Member, Virginia Academy of Pediatrics
- Vineeta Shah, MHS, RD of Richmond, Independent Consultant, Anna Julia Cooper Episcopal School, Virginia Commonwealth University