For Immediate Release:
July 2, 2015
Office of the Governor: Brian Coy, (804) 225-4260, Brian.Coy@governor.virginia.gov
| Secretary of the Commonwealth’s Office, Denise Burch, Denise.Burch@governor.virginia.gov
Governor McAuliffe Announces Administration Appointments
Governor Terry McAuliffe announced additional appointments to his administration today. The appointees will join McAuliffe’s administration focused on finding common ground with members of both parties on issues that will build a new Virginia economy and create more jobs across the Commonwealth.
Secretariat of Commerce and Trade
John Warren, Director, Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy
John Warren previously served as the Director of Government Affairs for Greenbiologics, offering expertise in government programs and regulations. As Director of Project Development and Government Relations with Osage Bio Energy from 2008 to 2011, he worked to expedite plant development, direct permit and compliance activities, fulfill renewable fuel producer requirements, and establish industry and government relationships. From April 2001 to 2008, Mr. Warren served as the State Energy Office Director in the Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy. Mr. Warren holds a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Virginia Tech, a Diploma in Energy Management from North Carolina State University/Virginia Tech and a Master’s in Public Administration from Virginia Commonwealth University.
Secretariat of Public Safety and Homeland Security
Kathleen Franklin, Homeland Security Policy Advisor
Kathleen Franklin is the Homeland Security Policy Analyst within the Office of Public Safety and Homeland Security. Prior to her service to the Commonwealth, Kathleen worked with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, the National Criminal Justice Reference Service working with the U.S. Attorney General’s office, and was a security consultant to the Ballistic Missile Defense Organization. Kathleen has a B.S. in Criminal Justice from George Mason University and an M.A. in Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness from Virginia Commonwealth University.
Shawn Talmadge, Homeland Security and Resilience Staff Director
Shawn Talmadge brings significant experience in emergency response operations, the U.S. Army, and the Virginia National Guard to his post as Homeland Security and Resilience Staff Director. He served within the state and local emergency response field as a paramedic, firefighter, and hazardous materials technician in various volunteer and career departments across the Commonwealth, ultimately achieving the rank of Battalion Chief in the Hanover County Fire-EMS Department. While at the Virginia Department of Transportation, Mr. Talmadge conducted security reviews and improvement projects to help better protect our infrastructure. In 2009, Shawn reported for active duty in the National Guard where he served in various leadership roles including Battery Command, Deputy Commander of the CBRNE Enhanced Response Force, Chief of the Joint Operations Center, and Executive Officer for the state’s only Field Artillery Battalion. Shawn has coauthored national level, interagency response protocols to large-scale incidents, responded to numerous regional and state level disasters, and presented at conferences on various homeland security topics. Mr. Talmadge received his Bachelor’s Degree from Virginia Tech and Master’s Degree from the Virginia Commonwealth University.
Secretariat of the Commonwealth
Jack Irvin, Operations Manager of Restoration of Rights
Jack Irvin previously served as a Restoration of Rights specialist in the office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth. He was a Governor’s Fellow with the Department of Planning and Budget, where he worked with the Best Management Practices Section. Jack graduated from the University of Virginia with a B.A in history and foreign affairs.
Board of Accountancy
- D. Brian Carson, CPA, CGMA of Virginia Beach, Chief Financial Officer, Gold Key/PHR Hotels & Resorts
- Susan Quaintance Ferguson, CPA of Harrisonburg, Instructor, James Madison University
Board of Housing and Community Development
- J.P. Carr* of Winchester, Vice President, Glaize Developments Inc.
- Patricia P. Shields, LEED, AP of Falls Church, Founder/Owner, Metro Green, LLC
Board of Long-Term Care Administrators
- Mary B. Brydon of Richmond, Retired; former Director of Sales and Admissions, Westminster Canterbury
- Mitchell P. Davis of Salem, Executive Director, Carrington Place, Botetourt
- Martha H. Hunt of Smithfield, Director, Magnolia Manor, Riverside Health Systems, Inc.
- Doug Nevitt* of Fredericksburg, Executive Director, Greenfield Senior Living
- Karen H. Stanfield* of Dinwiddie, Vice President of Operations, Saber Health Care
Commonwealth Transportation Board
- Carlos M. Brown, Esq. of Henrico, Director of Power Generation Stations, Dominion Resources Services, Inc.
- The Honorable Shannon Valentine* of Lynchburg, Co-Chair, OneVirginia2021
Council on Women
- Miriam A. Bender of Ruckersville, Attorney; Founder and Officer, Women’s Health Virginia
- Meta Braymer, PhD* of Richmond, Vice President Emerita, University of Mary Washington
- Amy K. Eckert of Alexandria, President, Eckert and Associates
- Suzanne B. Jackson, FACHE of Midlothian, Chief Executive Officer, John Randolph Medical Center, Hopewell
- Lori A. Merricks of Danville, Director of Marketing and Communications, Danville Regional Foundation
Foundation for Healthy Youth
- Sandy Chung, MD* of Sterling, President, Fairfax Pediatric Associates
- Teresa Gardner, DNP,MSN,FNP-BC,FAANP of Coeburn, Executive Director, The Health Wagon
- Andrew Goodwin of Richmond, Legislative Assistant, U.S. House of Representatives
- Thomas L’Ecuyer, MD of Charlottesville, Professor of Pediatrics, University of Virginia
Safety and Health Codes Board
- Chuck Stiff, CSP* of Mechanicsville, Director, Safety, Health & Environmental, Altria Client Services Inc.
Virginia Apprenticeship Council
- Greta E. Nicholson of Culpeper, Master Electrician and Instructor, IBEW local 26, JATC
Virginia Housing Development Authority
- Kit Hale* of Roanoke, Owner and Principal Broker, MKB Realtors
- Charlie McConnell* of Coeburn, retired; former Executive Director, Wise County Redevelopment and Housing Authority
Virginia Nuclear Energy Consortium Authority
- Regina W. Carter of Lynchburg, Vice President, Government Affairs & Communications, BWX Technologies, Inc.